Everyone’s family is different. That’s a fact. And while I am no child expert, I have found co-sleeping to be a wonderful experience for Nanette and me (minus her kicking, biting, scratching, and oh, using my face as a pillow).
Five reasons why I love co-sleeping
- I’m needy! Ok, maybe that is taking it a little too far, but I honestly love cuddling with Nanette. I tend to be a very hands-on daddy, and am usually with Nanette all the time unless I am peeing or taking a shower. Plus, I know she will soon shirk at hugging her father when she turns into a tween, so why not soak up all the cuddles now?
- Some research suggests that infants who co-sleep have stronger emotional relationships with their parents and with other people. I mean, I don’t want her to be a psychopath. I’m not heartless.
- It’s easier (supposedly.) But I don’t have to get up and go to a different room. Infants who co-sleep go to sleep faster and stay asleep longer. I need my beauty rest just as much as her.
- Physical contact helps babies to breathe more regularly, use energy more efficiently, grow faster, and experience less stress. Fingers crossed. now all I have to do is follow the same steps and I’ll be less stressed in my day. In addition, babies who are not breastfed will also reap the many other benefits of close contact.
- New babies smell great! I wish I could just bottle up her scent, sell it to the Bay (or Macy’s) and make a million bucks.
- I love waking up (if I ever make it to sleep) with my family. There is just something to be said about waking up in the morning to a rustling of sheets by tiny feet and arms. Cuddles and big toddler grins in your face will always be a better way to wake up than to cries from a bedroom down the hall. Except now you are in perfect spit-up range.
This is in no way a condemnation or criticism of those who don’t do co-sleeping but I wanted to share some reasons why I love it and why I think you’ll get benefits out of it too. If you found a way to avoid all the kicking, scratching, biting and using face-as-squishy-pillow-please help me. My dreams are getting very strange.